Learn How To Turn Off Wifi On Router With Few Effective Techniques
A router is a technologically advanced device which analyzes the contents of data packets transmitted within a network. It also works as a line of security for it protects your network from the intruder and keeps your computer system & information safe from malware attack.
In most of the routers, the Wifi network is found active as per default settings. But sometimes, a situation arises where you need to disable the Wifi network. In that scenario, instead of unplugging the cable suddenly (which may cause damage to the router), you should follow the proper way to turn off Wifi on the router. If you don’t know the methods to do it correctly, then don’t worry. We are here today to provide you knowledge about how to disable Wifi on the router with some general and effective methods. So, read the article carefully to clear your confusion about the following topic.
Why Do People Need to Disable Wifi on Router?
Before learning the methods of how to turn off Wifi on the router, we have to understand why people generally disable their Wifi network or why you should turn off the connection when the Wifi is not in use.
- Turning off the signal of your router will help to improve the performance of your network connectivity, by reducing the utilization of channels.
- With the advanced cyber hacking methods, an expert hacker can break through any security barrier to access your device information through a wireless network. Thus, disabling the Wifi network prevent the unwanted user from accessing your network without your knowledge.
- Disable the Wifi signal will let you hide your router from a certain individual.
- Last but not least, it will save some amount of electricity usage.
Now that we have learned the advantage of disabling the Wifi signal on the router. Now, it’s time to focus on the main topic.
Best Methods to Turn Off Wifi on Router:
Turning off the router’s Wifi signal usually, vary from device to device. The router of various brand and various series build in a different way. Thus, the method of turning off the router can be also different. That’s why we only provide the common methods which can be used in any router. Now, carefully follow the given methods to avoid any kind of further problem
Method 1: Turn Off the Built-In Switch
The basic method of turning off the Wifi signal is to shut down the whole router. Most of the modern day’s router comes with a built-in switch which will turn off the whole router with just one click. But it will temporarily solve the problem for you because if you need to turn on your router for other purposes (for example fix the router’s setting), it will automatically enable the Wifi signal. So, if this method doesn’t suit for your purpose, then proceed to the next method.
Method 2: Disable Connection from Router Setting
The next most effective method to disable the Wifi on the router is to change the router settings. In this method, certain steps may not match from your router setting interface but the process will be pretty much the same. So, in this case, you can simply just follow the Router’s manual.
- At first, open your internet browser and type your router’s IP address.
- Next, type your username and password in the login page.
- After logging in the Router Setting page, select the Wireless Settings option from the left side of the panel and then select the Setup tab
- Now, you have to click on the Manual Wireless Connection Setup, which you will find under the Manual Wireless Connection Option
- Then, you have to untick the Enable Wireless box to change the Wifi status. Else, you can schedule it for automatic on and off according to your liking.
Method 3: Changing the Transmit Power
In some specific routers models, you will not get the option of turning off the WiFi connection from Router Setting. If that’s the case for your router, then no need to panic, we also have an alternative method for you.
People, who are not able to find the disable Wifi connection option can change the Transmit(Tx) power of their router to 0. It will not technically turn-off the connection but output will be the same in one way or another.
- Enter the Router Setting page and click on the Wireless Icon under the Basic tab.
- Then, look for the Transmit Power Control in the Wireless Network section.
- Once you find it, change the Transmit Power to 0%.
Keep in mind that change the transmit power for the active Wifi band, otherwise this process will not work for you. For example, if your current active Band is 2.4 GHz but you accidentally change the transmit power to 5GHz, then your Wifi signal will not disable.
Method 4: Change the Signal Power and Range
Couples of time the router users face a situation where their friends or guest ask to share their Wifi connection. But they don’t want to do it for some personal reason. Saying no or disabling the signal sometimes sound harsh. So you can cleverly change the signal power or range in-directly to stop the functionality of the Wifi signals. To use this process, click on the Manual Wireless Network Setup by following the steps from the first method. Then, select the wireless channel option and set it to a channel where you will low or zero network connectivity. This way your Wifi signal name will be visible to the user but they will get almost zero internet connection from your device.
We hope these methods prove helpful and by following this method, you will be able to solve your issue regarding how to turn off Wifi on the router. But if you are encountering some issues while doing so, then the best way is to take support from an experienced professional.