Complete Guide to Solve “How to Connect to 5GHz Wifi”
If you carefully look at any Advanced Router’s setting page or manual, you will find two frequencies to choose from, one is 2.4 GHz and the other one is 5Ghz. Now 2.4 GHz band is one of the oldest frequencies but 5GHz is a new addition to the list. Most of the router user don’t even know what is the benefit of it or How to Connect to 5GHz Wifi from this router. That’s why today we have come with a full guide to answer your queries that will provide you with better clarification. So without wasting any more time let’s jump to the main subject.
Why Choose 5GHz Connection Over the 2.4GHz Connection?
It will be wrong to say that the 5GHz band has huge advantages over 2.4GHz because both of them have their own benefits and drawbacks. According to your need, you can select the appropriate band to serve your purpose. 5GHz comes with some slight advantage over the other for few reasons, those are:
- The 2.4GHz band is an old connection thus it’s a pretty crowded place. Other than Wifi, this frequency is also used for the Old cordless phones, baby monitors, garage door openers and many more wireless device which make it congested. Compare to it 5Ghz is new and only available for a few latest devices. Which make the connection traffic free and stable.
- With a 5GHz band, you will get 10 times faster speed than the 2.4GHz band.
- 5GHz band specially created to serve the best connection for short-range usages. But you can increase its effective range by some range extenders or mesh Wi-Fi systems.
Know the Most Reliable Methods to Enable 5GHz WiFi
Enable the 5GHz connection for an adapter and router doesn’t need any complicated technological or coding knowledge. You just have to go through a long but easy process to complete the whole set-up. So please carefully follow the whole process to avoid any kind of further issues.
Check if Your Router Support 5GHz Wireless Connection
At first, before the configuration process, you have to check if your current WiFi model has the 5GHz band option or not. So type your model number and brand name in the web browser and search for its specification. If the model supports the connection then it will be written right beside the Supported Frequencies or Supported Radio Bands. In case, you didn’t find something like that then you can simply look for the letters after 802.11 to understand if the router supports the 5Ghz connection or not. Generally, a router that states 802.11a, 802.11a/g/n, 802.11ac, 802.11c will work at 5Ghz and 802.11n, 802.11b/g/n has a slight chance to support the 5GHz band.
Check if Your Adapter Support 5GHz Wireless Connection (for Windows)
If your router supports the connection then next thing you have to check is, whether your device is compatible with the 5GHz connection. To confirm it follow the below step:
- Turn On your device and Press Windows+R key to open the Run dialogue box
- Next, type cmd in it and click Ok.
- When the command prompt window open type “netsh WLAN show drivers” and hit the Enter button.
- Now from the following data Look for the Radio types supported section. If it says 802.11a and 802.11g and 802.11n then your device have the capability to support the 5GHz connection.
Set Your Device for 5GHz Connection
Now that all the checking process is done next thing you have to do is change the setting of your device to support the frequency. So follow the below step carefully,
- At first, open the start menu from the device home screen and then type Device Manager in the search bar.
- Click on the search result to open the Device manager and select Network adaptors to expand its list.
- Next, locate your wireless adapter and right click on it to select the Properties option.
- Now from the new window, you have to open the Advanced tab and click on the 802.11n mode. Don’t forget to change the Value option to Enable.
After this step, your device will be ready to work with 5GHz frequency.
Enable the 5GHz band in Your Router
After the device set up, the only thing will be left is to Enable the 5GHz connection from the router. So, to complete the whole process open your web browser and search your router IP address. Then put your username and Password in the login page. Once the Router setting page opens, click on the Wireless tab and then select the Basic option from the left panel of the window. Next, change the 802.11 band mode from the 2.4 GHz to 5GHz and click on the Apply button. Doing this will help you to completely enjoy high speed and smooth connectivity of 5GHz band.
Hope our article able to solve your all the confusion related How To Connect To 5GHz WiFi. If you like our article please leave feedback in the comment section below.