Linksys Router Keeps Dropping Internet Connection: Learn The Methods To Fix It
If you are using the Linksys router then you may notice that at times, the Linksys router keeps dropping internet connection. Getting this problem on the system can be quite frustrating. However, you can easily overcome this situation.
Usually, this problem comes up if the Linksys router driver has not been updated. Other reasons include incorrect network configuration, corrupted network driver, and installed security software.
Thus, if you are searching for the methods to fix this issue quickly, then go through this article carefully. Here, we have mentioned some effective methods to solve this problem from the device immediately. After going through the fixes and applying them, you can quickly eliminate this particular problem from the device.
Linksys Router Keeps Dropping Internet Connection: Try These Fixes
Below, you’ll find some easy methods to fix Linksys router keeps dropping internet connection. Take a look at the solutions and solve this problem at the soonest.
Method 1 – Power Cycle the Devices
The first thing that you should do when you find the internet connection is not stable, is to power cycle the device to solve this problem. Go through these steps:
- Firstly, switch off your computer as well as the Linksys router.
- Keep them disconnected for at least 30 seconds.
- Then turn on your PC and router by pressing the Power button.
Method 2 – Update the Network Adapter Software
This problem can be caused by an outdated Network adapter software. So, you need to update the driver from time to time. Follow these directions:
- First of all, go to the Device Manager.
- When the Device Manager window opens, locate the Network Adapter, select it to expand it.
- After that, right-click on the Linksys router driver and then select the Update Software Driver button to start the update process.
- Once the update process is complete, reboot your computer and then check if the issue is solved or not.
Method 3 – Check the Power Settings
If the Power settings are incorrect, then you may find that the Linksys router keeps dropping internet connection.
So, you need to check whether the power settings are correct or not. Go with the directions given below:
- Firstly, press the Win + R buttons to launch the Run dialog box. Type devmgmt.msc and then click the OK button or hit the Enter button.
- In the Device Manager window, locate and select the Network Adapters section to expand it. After that, right-click on the Linksys router network card and then select the Properties button.
- When the Properties window opens, go to the Power Management tab and then unmark the ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’ box. After that, select the OK button to save the changes made.
Method 4 – Remove the Third-Party Security Software
If any security software is installed on your PC, then you may encounter this problem. So, before connecting the network connection, you need to uninstall the security software. To remove it, follow these directions:
- At first, go to the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, go to the Programs and Features section.
- From the Programs and Features window, scroll down the page and find the Security software, select it. After that, you will see the Uninstall button, select it.
- Once the process is complete, reboot your PC and router and then check if the issue is solved or not.
Method 5 – Turn Off the Windows Firewall
Sometimes, if the Windows Firewall is turned on, then you may find that the Linksys router keeps dropping internet connection. So, you should try to disable it on your PC. The following steps will help you.
- Firstly, launch the Control Panel.
- When the Control Panel window opens, navigate to the Windows Firewall section.
- From the Windows Firewall section, go to the left panel and click on the Turn Windows Firewall On and Off option.
- On the right, click on the Turn off Windows Firewall option from both Public Network Settings and Private Network Settings sections. After that, select the OK option to save the changes.
After performing the above steps, reboot your computer and then check whether the error appears or not.
Method 6 – Reinstall the Linksys Router Network Driver
A corrupted or damaged Linksys network driver can cause this error message on the system. So, you need to remove it and then install it again. To reinstall it, follow the instructions given below:
- Hold the Windows Home button and press the X key to launch the Start menu list and then choose Device Manager.
- From the Device Manager window, go to the left panel and find the Network Adapters, select it to expand.
- Right-click on the Linksys network driver to open the list and then choose the Uninstall Device button to remove it.
- Once it is removed, you need to install it from the official website of the Linksys router.
So, visit the official website of the Linksys router and find the latest version of the driver. After finding it, download it and then install it correctly.
Once the installation process is complete, restart the Linksys router and the system and then check if the issue still persists or not.
Method 7 – Reset the WiFi AutoConfig Services
If the WiFi auto-config services are not running, then you may encounter this problem. So, you need to reset the services on the system. Perform these steps carefully:
- Hold down the Windows Home button and press the R key to open the Run dialog box. Type services.msc and then hit the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- In the Services window, scroll down the page and find the WiFi AutoConfig services, right-click on it. After that, choose the Properties button.
- From the Properties window, go to the Startup type and set it to Automatic and then select the Apply button followed by the OK option.
Method 8 – Turn Off RunSwUSB Service
Turning off the RunSwUSB service can sometimes solve the Linksys router keeps dropping internet connection issue on your computer. Try to follow the undermentioned steps:
- Open the Services window.
- From the Services window, locate and double-click on the RunSwUSB service.
- In the Properties window, set the Startup type to Disable to turn off this service.
- After performing these steps, select the Apply button and then click on the OK option.
Method 9 – Using the Command Prompt
After performing the above fixes, if the problem is still not solved, then you need to try this method to fix this problem. Follow these directions:
- Press Win + X buttons together to launch the WinX menu list and choose the PowerShell command.
- Type the following commands: ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /release, and ipconfig /renew in the Command Prompt window and then hit the Enter button after typing each command.
- Once these commands are executed, check if the problem is resolved or not. If not, then you need to type another command in the PowerShell Command Prompt and then press the Enter button.
netsh int ip reset
- After executing these commands, check if your system is finally free from the issue.
After performing methods which we have provided in the above section, you should be able to get rid of the Linksys router keeps dropping internet connection issue. Try to perform the steps exactly as directed and check whether the problem is eliminated or not.
While trying the fixes, if you encounter any problem, you need to seek help from a technician who has better knowledge regarding this issue.